Sunday, June 10, 2012

Moving Part II: Memphis and Little Rock

From Loveland we drove all the way to Memphis and then took a day off to explore.IMG_9866Memphis was very tourist friendly. The downtown area has a trolley line that you can ride all day for just $3.50 and it took us everywhere we wanted to go. Here Bryan and Norah are waiting for the trolley.IMG_9842We had a big breakfast at the Arcade restaurant which is famous for being a favorite hang out of Elvis – see the charming trolley in the backgroundIMG_9846Then we went to the Peabody Hotel to see the ducks walk the red carpet to the hotel fountain. It was pretty silly but Norah got a kick out of it and the hotel itself was magnificent. IMG_9857Then we went to the National Civil Rights museum. I wish we could have spent more time at the museum because it was dense with exhibits and information but Norah was falling apart. Some of the museum highlights were the sit-in lunch counter, and the Rosa Parks bus. When Norah sat in the bus a recording was triggered of an angry voice telling her to sit in the back of the bus. It really startled her and even scared her a little and she went right to the back of the bus (unlike Rosa). IMG_9860After the museum we rode the trolley past the Mississippi river and the girls fell asleep so we drove past Beale streetIMG_9868and headed to Little Rock. The only thing we had time to do in Little Rock was eat BBQ. We went to the award winning “Whole Hog CafĂ©” IMG_9870

7 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Hooray! I've been waiting for these posts. As a matter of fact I thought to myself when I logged onto the computer, "If Lindsey hasn't posted something I'm calling today to make sure they made it to Texas!" Hahaha! I'm glad you guys took time and enjoyed your trip down.

Ashley said...

It sounds like you had a great time in Memphis. I spent about 10 minutes there, passing through on my way somewhere else, but I wished I had stayed longer because I thought it had a nice looking downtown.

Love the story about the Norah moving to the back of the bus.

DB said...

I really like the picture where Bryan and Norah are looking down the street in anticipation of the trolley, also the Picture of Bryan and Alice smiling -- looks like the two finalists in a smiling contest.

Ashley said...

In response to the twitter feed -- Amen Norah! I get hungry for Ikea all the time! For you, is it the Swedish meatballs? the soft serve ice cream? the lingonberry soda? Or all of the above?!

Sara said...

I have been anticipating moving posts. I'm so glad you are such a good blogger. Can't wait to hear about Dallas. Love you guys.

Julie said...

oh my heck how fun! I totally want to go to Memphis now. I was there for one of my brothers basketball trips when I was a kid and I don't remember it being that cool. We'll have to give it another shot. Wish you were driving through Toledo...

natalie said...

Oh you crack me up. "She went right to the back of the bus, unlike Rosa"