Thursday, September 13, 2012

Utah Part I: The Conference

I got involved with the DFW BYU alumni chapter this summer and they needed to send a representative to an alumni conference in Aspen Grove and I enthusiastically volunteered to go of course. IMG_0166I couldn’t have done it without my mom who flew to Utah and watched the girls for me while I attended the conference. It was an amazing experience and I’m so glad I was able to go but it was also very stressful. Little Alice suffered from major separation anxiety so it didn’t work out to leave her as much as I had planned. Fortunately, I’m a BYU alum and at BYU babies go to class so everyone was very kind and understanding when Alice accompanied me to sessions of the conference. I tried several times to leave her with Grandma and every time I had to run back to the lodge and bring her back to the conference room with her hiccupping from sobbing. She seemed to know it was a privilege to be at the conference though because she was exceptionally quiet and content to sit on my lap. The leaves were changing colors in Aspen Grove and it couldn’t have been more beautiful. I wish there had been a little more down time to be outside and enjoy the beautiful setting but Grandma and Norah at least had plenty of time to explore.IMG_0247Friday September 7th, all the chapters from Texas combined to host the “Texas Round-Up” for BYU students from Texas. Students were encouraged to wear Texas attire and many did!IMG_0279We served Bluebell Ice Cream on the Hinckley Center Patio and I’m clearly a transplant to Texas because I don’t know what the big deal is with Bluebell ice cream. The students were going on and on about how much they missed it (they’ve been at school for less than a month). Personally, I was underwhelmed. Courtney met us at the party and it was great to have some face time with her. IMG_0255Looking at Helaman Halls brought back lots of memories. Provo in general brought back a flood of good memoriesIMG_0283Norah was so excited to hang out with another child after being the only kid on the Aspen Grove playground. This little boy was only 16 months old and not much smaller than Norah.IMG_0299

6 comments:

jo said...

What a cool opportunity! Boy, do I miss those mountains. It would have been fun to remember good Helaman Halls times with you. Your girls are darling.

Brett and Sydnie said...

That must have been amazing! Poor little Alice though, we know how that goes. I'm glad you guys are having fun, but we really miss you here.

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Looks like a fun trip! But you flew with both girls by yourself?! That's brave.

Kari said...

You don't like Bluebell?? You must be a transplant. (:

Christy said...

Awesome. Love that you went and participated in such a great opportunity!

Ashley said...

Love the photos of provo! I cant wait to go back in a few weeks. You arent missing out on Bluebell, maybe it is because I am a transplant too, but it is overrated. Where did you get those BYU texas t shirts, they are so fun!