Thursday, February 24, 2011

Rochester

Last Saturday we braved wind and snow to drive to Rochester to visit our friends the Vogels.  We considered canceling the visit because of the weather but Tiffany had promised to make Café Rio salads for us and I was not about to miss out on that.  Tiffany and I were both members of the illustrious “Team Aloha” at Ft. Herriman Middle School in Utah along with Leslie Allen.  We all taught the same students (they rotated through our classes (I taught S.S., Leslie taught Sci. and Tiffany taught L.A.)) and we had a common prep period to use for weekly team meetings . . . or to go out to lunch at Café Rio together as we usually did.  So eating Café Rio with Tiffany again brought back good memories.  We both lamented that Leslie wasn’t with us and reminisced about how she used to order her Café Rio salad:  Whole wheat tortilla, sans beans and rice.  We never could support how she ordered her salad but we loved her anyway and thrived under her leadership.

IMG_7020While in Rochester we toured the Strong Museum of Play and Norah had a blast.  We saw Sesame StreetIMG_6968IMG_6958We went shopping at Wegmans. Norah took her grocery shopping very seriously but she definitely loved itIMG_6980IMG_6974Bryan scaled some buildingsIMG_6996Norah hung out with the Berenstain BearsIMG_7009And then we went to the Vogel’s for lunch and Norah and Sofi played together.IMG_7017

10 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Oh my gosh, that museum looks awesome! We're going to have to go check it out.

Anonymous said...

I am completely jealous of the life-sized berenstain bears! Those books are my childhood!

SMT Family said...

Come to SLC and we will take you to the Cafe Rio just 2 blocks away. I frequented it far too often when we first arrived because I thought, "I'm in Utah, when I'm in Utah I need Cafe Rio," man, the salads are amazing!

I always wanted to go to the children's museum in Rochester but I never had the excuse of a toddler to make the trip. It looks amazing. I bet Norah loved seeing Sesame Street. Savvy would be in heaven.

Tahri and Kehau said...

Oh my gosh how fun, I want to go out there now. Tale would love having his own shopping cart. and the museum? looks so fun!
we should do a cafe rio night

Kari said...

We love the museum of play! Did you know that if you buy the voyager pass at the Science Center, you can get into the museum of play for free too? We had to buy a new science museum pass and ended up buying the one in Ithaca for that very reason.

MLE Whatz said...

Looks like lots of fun!

Leslie said...

man I totally missed out! I feel horrible that I wasn't there to reminisce and to have Cafe Rio Salads with you two. It makes me laugh that you know exactly how I like it! Next time you're in Utah give me a buzz and I'll treat us to a little CAFE RIO. The children's museum, and the kids playing together really made me want to be there with you. Ethan would have had a ball teasing . . . I mean playing with the girls.

Love you guys, and miss working with you on a daily basis. You were both exceptional teachers!

Stacia said...

So fun! Btw, LOVE your boots. Love them!

And of course, love that cute little girl of yours.

Tiffany said...

We were so glad that you guys braved the Western NY winter storm--then the next day, obviously, the sun came out and melted all the snow. :) Joe and I are still cracking up at Norah doing the robot! She's such a cutie. It was so good to catch up; let's do it again soon. You should come for the weekend when it gets warmer. Thanks again for coming.

Diane said...

Holy Smokes! Crazy how time flies. I can't believe how big Sophie is (she was a new born). Its crazy to think that life really flies by. Seems like you two just left for NY. I miss our "relief society" meetings too. If she has a blog I would love the address.