Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Life and Times of Big Tex

Bryan took last Tuesday (Oct 8th) off work today so we could go to the State Fair as a family. It brought back a lot of emotion I felt last year when we went to the fair the day after my mom told me she had stage 4 colon cancer. I found out late at night and we had already gotten Norah excited about going to the fair so we went anyway. I was very sad and it was kind of surreal to walk around carnival rides and cotton candy. I think I cried while we were there but I was also really glad we went because it felt good to do something so fun and memorable with my family. Life is precious and I want to have as many good memories with my family as I can. Since my parents came home from Cyprus I’ve seen my mom 10 times. I’m grateful she’s been able to travel so much and I’m looking forward to seeing her again this week.

Norah was very excited to go to the fair and she frequently reminded us by saying “I’m so excited I’m so excited I’m so excited. We get to see Big Tex!!! He’s going to be even bigger than before!” She was so excited she posed for a picture with the height chart by the rides just because he was on it.IMG_2966You can see Henry in this picture – Henry and his Mom Erin went with us for a few hours in the morningIMG_2955IMG_2972 Norah telling me she needed sunglassesIMG_2974 Seeing the new Big TexIMG_2986 IMG_3019 I love the architecture at Fair Park. It’s Art Deco at it’s best.IMG_2991 Isn’t this beautiful? Each of the buildings is this beautiful with statues and murals. IMG_3024 We saw three shows: The African Acrobats, a dog trick show and the “World On A String” puppet show. Norah was chosen as a volunteer to interact with some of the marionettes. Thankfully, these Wizard of Oz marionettes were the least creepy in the show.IMG_3035IMG_3034 Afterwards we walked around the Arts and Crafts building and saw all the awards – it was amazing how many different categories there were – there was a crocheted afghan category! I loved seeing all the jamsIMG_3042 and all the quilts. Way to go Betty!IMG_3040 We had a great time and it took only three minutes for Alice to fall asleep in the car on the way homeIMG_3055

1 comment:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

I think I may have seen Big Tex on TV last night!