Monday, October 14, 2013

Norah the Activist

Today I saw this video on Facebook today and since my kids are TV deprived they rushed over to watch it with me.

Norah of course had a lot of questions. When Bryan came home she gave him a brief synopsis of the video and then this conversation happened:

N: Palm oil is destroying the rainforest and that’s the orange gorilla's habitat! B: Oh no N: We can change our opinion in our family. Let’s find a solution. B: Okay what’s your solution? N: We need to stop eating palm oil and save the rainforest. L: We can’t eat anymore Oreos and we need to buy different peanut butter then. N; That’s right. (2 minutes later) B: Okay who wants Oreos??? N: I do I do B(laughing): The Oreos have palm oil N(hanging her head): I don’t want any

I’m not sure how I feel about this video. It has a good message and it was obviously effectively conveyed but it felt manipulative. I showed it to Bryan and he was actually predicting the lines. I felt sorry for Norah after Bryan teased her with the Oreos so I offered her an ice cream cone instead and when Bryan pulled out the ice cream he pretended it had palm oil in it too. He’s so cruel! I told Norah he was just joking and assured her it was palm oil free and she was like “Why was daddy joking about palm oil in the ice cream?” Oh the burden of an environmental conscience!

1 comment:

english said...

good post & interesting (powerful, clever, manipulative) video.

maybe try Adams peanut butter? great stuff!

also, I understand Norah's not the only activist in the family. :)