Thursday, October 31, 2013

Our day in Austin

My parents came out for a visit Oct 15th and we had a great time. On Wednesday the 16th they accompanied me on my usual routine of taking Norah to preschool, grocery shopping and taking Alice to story time. It was really nice to have all the extra help and show them our day to day life. It was fun for Norah to show them her new preschool building and she was so proud to introduce everyone to her grandparents. In the afternoon they took the girls to Monster yogurt and Norah was telling anyone who would listen that she had her grandparents with her and what their names were and how they were going to San Antonio.

On Thursday we packed up the Sienna my parents rented and headed for Austin. We made a special stop at Zilker ParkIMG_1941 to ride on the Zilker Zepher which we all enjoyed – even Alice despite this picture. IMG_3093 Then we toured the capitol building while Norah napped in the van. The highlight of the tour for me was when we went through the metal detector and the Texas state trooper handed us a bin for our '”coins, keys, jewelry, knives” I said “knives?!” and he said “yeah, just to walk through the metal detector – you'll get them back.” He caught on that I was surprised and not protesting so just to tease me he added “you could take a gun in if you had a permit.” and then asked if we were Texans. I’m not really sure why they bother having a metal detector . . . DSCN8764 Then we walked up and down Austin’s hip 6th street – and I carried Alice pretty much the whole time because she was being clingy. This is what it looked like when Bryan held her IMG_1955 and what it looked like when I held herphoto It made for a very long walk. After some pizza we went for another very long walk to Congress bridge to see the bats. Bryan and my dad went for yet another long walk to move the car closer so we wouldn’t have a long walk after seeing the bats. All in all they walked 7 miles!The girls were very excited to see them when they got back.IMG_3101The pretty view from the bridge IMG_3103 You can see the pretty capitol building behind Alice’s headIMG_3108 Watching the Austin bats below the bridgeIMG_3109 They did not disappoint – it was amazing

1 comment: