Sunday, May 26, 2013

Norah’s Pixies and Pirates Birthday Party

Norah has waited impatiently for her 4th birthday ever since she finished her 3rd. Our little Norah is such a party animal. We were so excited to celebrate her 4th and really wanted her to feel special but poor Norah had her birthday fall on a weekend when we were moving, again, so it was tough to pull off. My parents bought tickets to come out for her birthday months ago and we decided it would be best to move while they were here to help so we planned her party in the morning and the move in the afternoon. It actually worked out really well because we were able to have our new house empty for the party – if we’d had the party the week before or the week after there would have been boxes everywhere. Even so, I hope we never have to move and throw a party on the same day ever again. We were so exhausted. Norah invited her friends from preschool, Harper and Willa, and her cousin Evelyn to her party. I think between the guests and their siblings we had about 15 kids in the house!IMG_1977We played lots of games including help Tinkerbell find her wand, Crocodile creek, duck duck goose, and a simple version of charades. IMG_1937When they played duck duck goose the girls were only calling other girls goose so Grandma Lorraine whispered in Norah’s ear to pick a boy and she did. I was so proud of Norah for being such a good host.IMG_1924We had pirate hats, swords and eye patches as well as fairy wands and wings for both the girls and the boys because sometimes Norah feels like being a pirate and sometimes she feels like being a pixie.IMG_1916We ordered Norah’s cake from a girl I met through the BYU Women in Business. the cake was so pretty and sparkling with “real pixie dust.” She made the 4 out of chocolate and I think Norah felt really special that she got to have that chocolate 4 all to herself. IMG_1958IMG_1484IMG_1982I’m so glad Grandpa Dean and Grandma Lorraine were here for the party. They were indispensible! My mom helped plan and run the games and my dad took care of the food.IMG_1988I told my dad I wanted a watermelon pirate ship and he said “ok” and got to it. We were all incredibly impressed with the result. I said “dad, you didn’t have to make it this elaborate” and he said “well, the thing about a watermelon is that it doesn’t look like a pirate ship. So you have to put some effort into it to make it convincing'” ha! I was convinced. The sail in the front even had a skull and cross bones etched in to it. Norah was actually a little critical of the ship – she said “Grandpa Dean, it needs a plank” so he added one.IMG_1907And after we cut up the cake he had Tinkerbell walk the plankIMG_1994The last activity of the party was a treasure hunt – you can see our moving truck in this picture – we used it to take over the kitchen table before the party started.IMG_1481IMG_1483Bryan’s mom made these cute goody bags for the kids – they had Hersey's nuggets, a ring pop and bubbles in themIMG_1903Alice was falling apart by the end of the party. Between the move and all the excitement of the party she was just wasted.IMG_1927We are just in love with this little imp. Happy Birthday Norah!!IMG_1940

4 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

I never saw this post for some reason! Amazing pirate ship watermelon, amazing goodie bags, amazing mom putting it all together, and amazing little four year old!

Debbie said...

A few things:
1.) this party looks amazing. I finally got around to throwing my daughter a birthday party (6 months later!) You guys are awesome for throwing her such a special party even while moving!
2.) I love that you are supporting a local business and a female entrepreneur with your cake purchase! good job!
3.) That pirate ship watermelon. AMAZING. I think I am going to pin that. Although, there is no way I could ever possibly recreate it. It is stunning.

jo said...

so cute. Happy birthday, Norah! I love the pirate ship and I love that it was made to order by the birthday girl. great work!

Stacy said...

Umm cant believe your dad just "got to it" and made that watermelon! Pretty AMAZING! And you guys always amaze me with your go with the flow attitude -- moving and a bday party! You guys rock!