Sunday, May 19, 2013

BYU Management Society Golf Tournament

May 8th was the DFW BYU Management Society Charity Golf Tournament and marked the end of our scholarship fundraising campaign.IMG_1154When we moved to Dallas I made several long term professional development goals and one was to volunteer as a fundraiser. I got involved with the BYU Alumni Association and the Management Society and in October I joined the Dallas executive committee as the development officer. It has been a wonderful challenge and extremely rewarding. I’ve enjoyed working with and learning from the committee members, meeting donors and corresponding with past Management Society scholars. I’m very grateful to Stephanie Probst, the chair of the Women in Business group who recommended me to committee. IMG_1151Stephanie is a mother of 5 who has just recently gone back to work part time. She has been a great mentor to me this year and a source of wisdom in all things business and family. Stephanie also went the extra mile in supporting the fundraiser. She recruited 8 women to play in the golf tournament – a record for the Women in Business. Here we are with our teammate Shannon.IMG_1159This was my first time golfing ever and I was surprised how much I enjoyed myself. I don’t plan to take up golfing but I can definitely see the appeal. I couldn’t believe how relaxed I felt on the course and 5 hours on the course with no distractions is a great way to get to know amazing women like Mindi and Shannon.IMG_1156Enjoying golfing was one of several surprising self discoveries I’ve had this year. I also had no idea how much I would learn about excel. I’ve been intimidated by excel for years but fundraising absolutely necessitated facing that fear. I owe a special thank you to Bryan who has patiently tutored me and helped me only just enough. Bryan took a half day off work to support me and play in the tournament. What a champ.IMG_1162 I also owe a thank you to my mom and dad who came out to Dallas just to baby sit for the golf tournament. I could not have enjoyed myself if I had been worried about little Alice who won’t even go to nursery. She had a great time and didn’t cry at all for my parents and Bryan and I were gone for 7 hours!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Congratulations on achieving your goal. very cool. Isn't golf a great way to bond with other women? I played golf on our high school team throughout middle school and high school. I swear that golf is the only sport where at the end of a tournament you are hugging your opponents and exchanging numbers. ha! I love it. I wish I played more now. I honestly have not played even 9 holes in almost 10 years. Maybe I will get back to it one day.

Brett and Sydnie said...

You are such an inspiration! Way to go on achieving your professional goals! You give me hope for a more well-rounded future. You look great in your golf gear too.

Stephanie said...

What a great post! Almost made me cry. :) I am glad to have your blog link now so I can blog stalk you!

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Good for you! This sounds like I ton of work, I'm amazed you were able to fit it all in!