Thursday, November 1, 2012

State Fair: Where everything is Big and Bright

This post is over due – Thursday October 19th we went to the Texas State Fair. The state fair is held every year in “Fair Park” which is this big complex of museums, the Cotton Bowl Stadium and the iconic Texas Ferris Wheel which is the largest in the country. The stadium and all the museums are all art deco gems. Norah and I became pretty familiar with Fair Park this summer when we sought refuge from the heat in the museums and it was impressive to see the transformation for the month long fair – it was hard to believe everything they had set up was temporary.

 

The first picture I took at the Fair was of “Big Tex” who burned down the next morning. I thought he was kind of creepy looking – like a giant ventriloquist – but I still felt bad when I heard of his demise. I’m glad we we got to see him the day before.IMG_0573We saw “The Amazing Chinese Acrobats”IMG_0579We ate Corny DogsIMG_0574And Fried ButterIMG_0577Just Kidding – Bryan tried Fried Jambalaya – which won best fried food or whatever this year so how could he not?IMG_0578

Do our pictures look strangely crowd free? We got there right when the fair opened and  accidentally went on Seniors Day  . . . so the rides didn’t start till noon. We made sure to stay long enough to let Norah go on plenty of rides though.IMG_0614IMG_0628By the time we left it was getting hot and poor little Alice was sooo thirsty (and probably hungry too). This water bottle was about 3/4 full when we gave it to her.IMG_0583

3 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Fried butter?! I'm so glad Bryan didn't really get that, but it leaves me wondering, who does?

natalie said...

I thought fried butter was just a joke! I agree with Hillary, who eats that!?? p.s. you and Norah are still rockin those hair cuts.

Ashley said...

Fried butter is real -- that is so gross.