Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Very First Birthday

The local hospital gives each new baby a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and we have read this story to our own hungry caterpillar (or should I say butterfly?) many many times this past year.  So we thought it fitting to plan her a Very Hungry Caterpillar party.  She is too young to really care but Bryan and I had a blast putting it together and having friends over to celebrate. 

Bryan made this cute inviteNorah_Invite

Norah’s very hungry caterpillar cake with marzipan frosting and details, saltwater taffy feet and toothpick spikes.hungry caterpillar cake Beforehungry caterpillar cake close up AfterIMG_4168

Needless to say it was very hot and humidIMG_4149

Surprisingly, the salami and pickles were hits and no one noticed that we swapped blueberries for plums – or maybe they were just being polite.IMG_4150 It may have been excessive, but we included the chocolate cake, cherry pie and cupcake.IMG_4156

Bryan’s mom made Norah this darling table cloth to use on birthdaysIMG_4157 IMG_4164 I took pictures of the food at the beginning of the party and then I was so distracted and I didn’t take ANY more the rest of the party. Thankfully my friend Caroline took these cute birthday girl portraits, but I feel bad I didn’t get a single group shot of all the little kiddos together.

IMG_4154

She had just woken up from a very late nap and I plopped her down in the middle of the party (she missed the start of it). I think she was a little stunned. IMG_4155

This one is my favoriteIMG_4153

16 comments:

Ashley said...

That looks like the cutest birthday theme ever!! Why didn't I get invited??

Michael said...

Did you guys make the cake yourselves? Looks like fun!

Lindsey Hicks said...

Yes I did -- it was a bunt cake cut in half and then halved again. I really did have fun. Ash -- you're right -- that was an oversight. I didn't want you to feel obligated as I knew you were busy:)

Lindsey Hicks said...

By the way -- if anyone would like to do this for their little caterpillar they should email Bryan for a copy of all the scanned food images from the book. It will save you a lot of time!

SMT Family said...

Absolutely adorable! You are such a fun mom! Looks like it was a great party for Norah and all of her friends.

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Your cake looks GREAT!

jo said...

Linds! This is fantastic. I must say, this is a party. But I remember past Brooks-Hicks parties and they are always a blast, but you've outdone yourself, my friend.

That cake is awesome, and the invitation superb. Norah is indeed a lucky gal.

Happy Birthday, Norah!

Leslie said...

SUPER cute! Love it! The cake looked amazing. You are quite the creative girl. I hope she had an amazing day. it's crazy how fast a year goes by huh? They'll be 18 and off to college before we know it. :)

kel said...

great theme, superbly executed. nice work on everything. Norah will be so pleased as a teen looking back at her parents' creativity for her first birthday.

Crystal said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is the COOLEST thing EVER!!! You know how I never do themed parties (or parties at all really) but now that you've done it, I feel like it's the cool thing to do. And that was such a cute idea! Did you think of it yourself or did you see it somewhere? I'm seriously impressed. Go ahead and send me the pictures, Bryan. I'll save it for anotehr day. I saw someone who had their kids' parties all on the same day and that justified a HUGE party (we're talking jugglers, elephats, etc.) which would actually be super fun. They wouldn't be the center of attention because they'd have to share the day with siblings. We could totally do that since their birthdays are all pretty close together.
Anyway, love it. Love you! And Nora is killing me in these pictures. She is SO CUTE! I can't even stand it. :)

Crystal said...

Oops, I always spell Norah's name wrong . . . and it's even spelled for me right there at the top. :P Sorry!

Crystal said...

Uh, I spelled Norah's name wrong . . . among lots of other things. :) I was in a hurry, ok! :D

cate said...

So glad to see the Cake Dome spirit be present for Norah's first birthday!

Stacia said...

That has to be one of the cutest b-day parties I have ever EVER seen! So clever. Your little one is getting so big!

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

Absolutely LOVED the cake!!!

natalie said...

Wow! Too many things to comment on about this post. First of the cake itself is brilliant. I was reading your comment about how it was a bunt cake- how clever! The theme, and scanned images from the book are just so much fun!

And now for the pictures. You guys are such a cute family! And the pictures of Norah are painfully cute, especially the last two where she is just looking up a the camera. I LOVE HER.