Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sleeping like a baby?

IMG_1209 Or like an addict? I'm sure many of you have heard Bryan jest that Norah sleeps like a crack addict. She frequently stays awake for hours and hours and then crashes. Turns out he was pretty close to the truth. My friend, and experienced mom, Melissa, lent me a book on sleeping called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and it is changing our lives. We knew Norah wasn't sleeping enough but we had no idea she was supposed to be sleeping 16 hours a day and never awake longer than 2 at a time!! Her sleep deprivation had turned into a vicious cycle fueled by stress hormones that were making her "wired" -- much like unto a crack addict.

We're still battling her sleep issues but we're making progress. Yesterday she fell asleep about a dozen times only to wake up after a few minutes but she has been a great little sleeper today with nice evenly spaced wake intervals. Hopefully we'll be seeing many more pictures like this one!

10 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey! I loved getting your comment! It is so fun to see little Norah!! I LOVED that sleep book and still reference it all the time!

Crystal said...

OH, that is such a cute picture. Good job, Linds. :) You guys are rockin this mom and dad thing. Love you.

Leslie said...

She is precious! The sleep routine is a tough one! Ethan had it down pat at 2 months, the more scheduled you keep them the better off they are! They really like their little routine! When Ethan is off schedule, he is grouchy!!! Church isn't great, because it totally throws off his schedule! Oh well, we'll get used to it at some point! Keep up the good work!

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Oh my goodness look what you made!! She's adorable. And I'm glad to find you blogging. Hurrah!

Tasha said...

Hey you!!! It's been too long, and I've wondered where you have gone to and what you've been up to, so was thrilled when you commented on my much neglected blog! So good to hear from you and I've loved seeing your blog - you look fantastic! And Norah is adorable!!! I'm glad you're doing so great and I'll now how to check in for updates!

alli and scott said...

oh my gosh, I didn't know you blogged! Happy to finally be in on the inner-circle.

Diane said...

Hey,
I am so glad to see some cute pics. of your little Norah! She is such cutie! Congratulations on being a mom that is so wonderful! I hope all is well with you and Bryan. E mail me some time!

SMT Family said...

We live by that book and I swear by it! Who would have thought babies could only be awake for such short time periods, but there is such a huge difference! Hope you guys are doing great!

natalie said...

aw she is so precious :)

Derrill Watson said...

I keep saying these kids NEED to come with manuals. Like any first time parent knows what 'normal' is!