Thursday, July 23, 2009

Problem Solving-What to do if you lose your sunglasses all the time

I have a chronic condition of losing a pair of sunglasses every time I get into large bodies of water. I have lost sunglasses in a variety of lakes some more famous than others.

Bodies of water I've lost sunglasses in:
1. Some nasty lake at youth conference
2. The falls of Havasupai
3. Lake Powell
4. Lake Erie
5. Lake Titicaca,
6. and one time (not in a body of water) a friend stepped on them.

I have lost all of these sunglasses since I've been married that's almost 2 a year! My other issue regarding sunglasses is that I will only buy polarized sunglasses. If you haven't tried them, you should, they're delightful. Especially if you're like me and you love water so much you should have been born a Golden Retriever.

Why you should buy polarized sunglasses.
Usually light doesn't have any specific polarization but when light bounces off a horizontal surface such as a large lake or street the majority of it becomes horizontally polarized the exact polarization that polarized sunglasses block. This means that you see a lot less of the light that bounces off the surface allowing your eye to focus on light rays coming from beneath the surface. Pardon my digression in to science-dom but the short of it is you can see into the water. Unfortunately, once you lose your sunglasses in the water you will lose this special power so you they will be irretrievable. There are two possible solutions when faced with this dilemma:

1. Buy chums-- you've seen them, you might just not know the name for this ultra-nerdy device. They attach to your sunglasses and then you wear them around your neck so if they fall off your head they don't fall into the water. For those unsatisfied with this moderate level of nerdiness you can further increase your nerdiness by purchasing the chums that float.

2. Buy lots of sunglasses-- every time I talk about sunglasses I joke that I should really start buying them in bulk. Just recently I decided to do it.

In the Summer, I generally wear sunglasses like I wear Chacos--constantly. In Ithaca there is no sun and so it took me until nearly August to realize that the only pair of sunglasses I had were not polarized, had tons of blue flakes coming off them, and cost me 10 soles in Peru. I looked around on the internet and found a website where I could buy polarized sunglasses by the dozen. So I bought a dozen and they just came in the mail yesterday. Hopefully I will never have to buy another pair again. Although, with my track record it seems as though I will have to buy a dozen about every decade.

If you or someone you know struggles with losing sunglasses constantly check out: http://www.ctswholesalesunglasses.com/

3 comments:

Crystal said...

hahahaha Way to problem solve. Genius.

jenny t said...

So three things:

1) Why do you need sunglasses if there is no sun in Ithaca?

2) I love that you guys are blogging so much these days! I also feel like I know you better. . .ish.

3) Mark's sister lost a pair of sunglasses in Bear Lake. That's because Mark pushed her off the boat. Your post reminded me of that tender moment. :)

natalie said...

yeah I remember you(Lindsey) telling me about this! Well done and thanks for the informative post.

btw Norah was a recent feature on my blog