Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Dallas Skyline Photo Practice

Last week my mom and dad came to visit and help me with the kids while Bryan traveled to Germany for work. Just a day or two after they booked their tickets Bryan’s trip was cancelled but I’m still so glad they came. It was a welcome break for me. My photography teachers arranged for rooftop access for their students and friends to take some pictures of the Dallas skyline. Bryan and I were able to go together on account of the free baby sitters. We  enjoyed a nice dinner in Deep Ellum afterwards.

The light was the prettiest when we first arrived. This is my favorite shot because of the beautiful sun rays but I had used a f/6.3 aperture to get enough light. I think it would have been better if I had used the tripod and used a narrow aperture to get some more detail. There was so much light at this point I think I could have used f/22. It was kind crowded on the roof and I had to choose between a spot where I could use the tripod vs a spot where I could see the whole skyline. I learned how to adjust the highlights and shadows in lightroom last night and it made a huge difference for this picture.

IMG 4897

This was a tripod shot much later in the evening. The color from the sunset was mostly gone and it was much darker but I had cranked up my ISO to 800, f/8 aperture and slow shutter speed of 1/20  and it looks like daylight. I feel like I learned so much from practicing adjusting my manual settings over and over again that night. It was incredible to me what a huge range of exposures were possible in such low light.IMG 4935

This shot was taken about the same time as the above one with an ISO of 200, f/8 and shutter speed 1/5IMG 4946

No comments: