Thursday, January 31, 2013

Norah in January

Norah is a primary now. She is so happy to be in primary and I love that I’m in there with her for sharing time and get to see her participate. Norah loves her Sunbeam teacher. She probably has the best Sunbeam teacher in the entire church. Her teacher is amazing – she is an artist and a former pre-k teacher and it definitely shows. Norah comes home with these great art projects every week. The first week she came home with a water colored earth. Another week she had a rolled up piece of butcher paper with a life-size outline of Norah (like a gingerbread Norah) and she told us that she was made in God’s image. This last week she came home with this lion mask IMG_1205

and told us that “some bad guys put Daniel in the lion cage because they wanted to punish him but he was a good guy so he prayed and an angel came and shut the lions’ mouths.” I am impressed with how much Norah is absorbing from primary. I hear her singing primary songs to herself during the week and then it reminds me to try to sing them with her. This may or may not be related but I feel like Norah has been especially kind to Alice lately. For example, the other night I was reading books to Norah (we read to them separately because they have different literary interests and that night Norah asked me to read to her) and Alice was clearly jealous and wanted to read with me instead of Bryan. I feel like I’m always passing Norah off to Bryan appease Alice and I’m trying not to do that anymore so I just ignored Alice and kept reading to Norah and she said “Mama, you need to read to Alice. I’ll read with Daddy.” I actually disagree and think that I have plenty of one on one time with Alice and need to have more with Norah but I thought that was so gracious of her and I wasn't about to discourage her generous spirit.

In other Norah news, she’s still coloring away like a maniac and she’s starting to write letters. In anticipation of my mom’s visit she asked how to spell Lorraine and it wasn’t too bad. It is hard to see the yellow but take a lookIMG_0576I love her i. She’s been busy trying to write everyone’s name now. Norah is great company. She can really carry on a conversation and she surprises me with how much she understands. I can’t think of an example, but she often makes observations and then draws conclusions from them that astound me. I’m going to try harder to write things down in February and I’m also going to make a point to get some video of her talking. We’ll have to tape an interview with Norah.

2 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

These monthly posts are so great, it's going to be wonderful to look back on these when your girls are older. You're such a good mom!

Stacy said...

I think the interview idea is awesome! Norah is hilarious and I would love to see a video!! :)