Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cayuga Heights Fire Department

We had a little excitement this morning. Just as I got out of the shower someone was knocking persistently on our door so I hurried and put on a bathrobe and answered. It was my neighbor from upstairs telling me that we had to evacuate our building because their might be a fire. I had heard a smoke detector going off in another apartment but I assumed they just needed a new battery. The situation didn’t seem super urgent so I decided to take the time to dress and grab a diet coke before heading out with Norah in her nightgown, rain boots and coat and Alice still swaddled (she was asleep).  We made it out just as the fire engine pulled up complete with siren and then headed across the street to take shelter at the MacLennan’s since it was cold and rainy. I thought for sure Graham, being the fire truck enthusiast he is, would be perched by the window watching all the action but they hadn’t heard the siren. Once I told them what was going on Lindsey (my friend, not me) rushed outside with Graham in his rain boots and jammies to watch the firefighters. Norah had no interest. Graham on the other hand was thrilled.
photo
Lindsey told me that the firefighters had to break down the door to the apartment with the alarm going off and found a pot of something burning on the stove. I’m have no idea where the tenants had gone with a pot on the stove at 8:30 in the morning. The firefighters were super nice to Graham. I just love our fire department. What great public servants! Rushing to the scene and taking the time to be role models too. The Cayuga Heights Fire Department also came around our neighborhood on Halloween to pass out candy and let the kids check out the fire truck. We really appreciate their service to our community.

4 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Oh geez, thank goodness your building didn't burn down! Hooray for firemen!

natalie said...

That's crazy! And way cool that the fire department is so friendly. I bet they appreciate having citizens like you recognize their service.

Ashley said...

That's such a fantastic photo. Way to capture the moment.

Julie said...

so awesome! And glad your building is ok.