Saturday, July 10, 2010

Festivus

I am continually amazed at how many different festivals there are in Ithaca.  We have been here two years and I’m still hearing of new ones.  There were TWO competing festivals today: The Scottish Games and Celtic Festival and the Dragon Boat Festival.  The Ithaca Scottish Games and Celtic Festival was definitely one we’ll return to next year.  We hurried down to Stewart Park as soon as Norah was done with her morning nap.  I was worried we had missed the bagpipes but Bryan in his wisdom assured me that there would likely be continuous bagpiping.  He was of course right.  They were actually having competitions between different bands from the Central New York region.  There were bands from Buffalo, Syracuse, Rome and a more local Fingerlakes band.  I’m impressed that many people play bagpipes.  In addition to the fabulous bands, we enjoyed watching the athletic competitions, looking at sheep and over hearing a mom sternly say “We came to listen to your father play the bagpipes, NOT to play on the playground!”  Lots of children were wearing kilts and I asked one little boy if I could take his picture with Norah but he was embarrassed and ran away. 

This was Norah’s favorite part.  IMG_4682IMG_4685  These ladies, along with the sheep, were demonstrating how wool becomes yarn and eventually a kilt.  Norah just wanted to see the sheep.  IMG_4681Bryan snapped this little treasureIMG_4691 IMG_4694 \Even the Carousel was getting into the spirit of the Festival by abandoning the usual organ music and playing Celtic tunes.  IMG_4698We stopped by the Dragon Boat Festival afterwards just to check it out.  It was pretty neat but I’m glad we prioritized the Celtic Festival.   IMG_4703We also caught the end of Victor and Kurt’s soccer game after the Dragon Boat festival.  It was just the Saturday afternoon that kept on giving. IMG_4706 Norah was wiped out from all the festivals and took a nice long nap.  Then we had Christy and Jace over for Dinner.    IMG_4711  It was good we did or I might not have gotten invited to go to NYC tomorrow with Christy.  That’s right,  Norah and I are headed to the Manhattan right after church tomorrow.

2 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Yay! We can't wait for you to come! And I cannot believe Norah will keep that hat on (although it is very cute.)

natalie said...

Very cool. Looks like fun. Norah is so cute! I love her strawberry locks -- I bet she fit right in with those celtics.