Friday, January 23, 2015

New Years in Denver

After spending Christmas in Virginia we flew from there to Denver on the 27th. Ashley and Matt made dinner for us twice – first on Saturday night at my parents house while my mom and dad were picking us up from the airport. No good deed goes unpunished though and that night they returned to their house to discover they had been robbed. Burglars had used a crow bar to bust open their glass sliding door – breaking it – and then stolen all their electronics and Ashley’s jewelry. Ashley and Matt amazingly took it all in stride and hosted us again the next day for a pierogie making party. It was a lot of fun and I’m glad we had that great day together because unfortunately we all got pretty sick after that.IMG_0670 IMG_0671Bryan and Freya were sick the week of Christmas and the day before we left I came down with a cold. Bryan and Freya went to Urgent Care on Dec 30th and both were put on antibiotics for a sinus infection and ear infection respectively. I was starting to feel a little better from my cold only to get hit with the flew on New Years Eve which sent me into urgent care as well. I was given tamiflu and it was suggested that we bring Freya back in to get her a tamiflu prescription as well. We had no energy to do anything. We just laid around my parents house while they cooked for us, cleaned up after us and tended the kids. I don’t know what Alice had but at one point she also had a fever and vomited twice in the night (once right into Norah’s hair). I’m so so so glad we had that week in Denver with my parents to take care of us rather than in Dallas with no help. Again, no good deed goes unpunished (or maybe Bryan and I are just bad luck) and they succumbed to the flu just as we were leaving and it took them a week or two to get better.

In the midst of our zombie apocalypse Norah and Alice managed to have a lot of fun in the snowIMG_1276IMG_1284They even made a snowman with not adult helpIMG_1302  When they were inside they played and did art projects and drank hot chocolateIMG_1280 Bryan and I were too sick to care about celebrating New Years but my mom bought martinellis, shrimp, party hats and managed to put us into the holiday mood. The girls loved itIMG_0696 IMG_1283 On our last day my mom insisted that we take the girls sledding. I was so exhausted I really didn’t want to and resisted it but I’m so glad we went because it was so much fun. It really was a joy to see them coming down the hill giggling and it will be a great memory.IMG_1308IMG_1315 IMG_1322IMG_1327 Here’s a picture I took of Freya and my mom right before we leftIMG_0717

2 comments:

DB said...

That is the funniest looking snowman I've ever seen -- and not necessarily in a good way.

Ashley said...

Is that photo documenting how mom got sick from Freya?